Digital Media Summer Camp
The next CCJ Digital Media Summer Camp will be held on June 13-20 2020.
The application will go live late in 2019. Make sure to check back for updates!
Each summer, several dozen rising 11th and 12th graders with an interest in journalism converge on Mercer University's Center for Collaborative Journalism to have a fun week learning new journalism skills and to try their hands at multimedia storytelling. Working with CCJ's univeristy faculty, journalists in residents, partner journalists, and journalism mentors our campers:
- Create content for a web-based publication
- Hone writing & photography skills
- Learn essential audio & video skills
- Sharpen interviewing skills
If you are a high school student interested in telling compelling stories through photo, video, audio, and the written word this camp is for you. You won't spend your time cooped up in a classroom; you'll get out into the community, practicing new skills with professionals guiding you. We'll also have many fun activities (this is camp, after all).
Our campers learn or improve their knowledge of, and skills in, DSLR cameras, Premiere, Audition, writing for the web and more. They interview real people to tell their story in a compelling multimedia format and publish the results. See the fine work from our 2015-2019 campers at CCJ Reports.
What others have said:
- The CCJ's Digital Media Summer Camp in Macon was a great experience for Odyssey Newsmagazine and Odyssey Online students. Through hands-on, team-based and individualized instruction, students were able to experiment, to succeed, and even to fail in a safe learning environment. Lessons learned this summer have informed our production this year and likely for years to come.—David A. Ragsdale, Clarke Central High School adviser